Sunday, March 9, 2014

A touch of green~






In sweet form...




And in side dish form:)







I have a touch of green in me:)  My great  great grandfather was Irish apparently.....along the way..my grandfather married a French canadian girl.. and his son..my dad..also married a French canadian girl..truth be told by that time..they were both perfectly bilingual..my mother mastered both languages so well..
A translator..a whiz in politics..(not me..)..an artist..anyways..you have heard all those wonderful things about my mom..It's the Irish in me I am bringing out today..
First the cupcakes..I actually made them for my daughters' birthday..they are perfect for St Pats..you can find the recipe here...fabulous blog..author..a young beauty..loaded with talent:)

And then..the Colcannon Bundles..

I made some yrs ago.. and lost the recipe..  so this is really by memory because I thought I had found it again last week and can't..
I think it originally came from Gourmet magazine..
I love these..



How to~

Ings

Bacon..( I used one big slice)
1 finely chopped onion
1/4 slivered cabbage
several outer cabbage leaves ..blanched..
Your delicious mashed potatoes(I used 3potatoes)..well seasoned and creamy:)


You render some bacon..cut up in small pieces..a whole tinely diced onion.. and about 1/4 of a cabbage cut in slivers..then chopped a bit.. Season..Cook to desired taste and tenderness..1 slice of bacon was sufficient.
I first blanched a few outer leaves of the cabbage to make the little bundles..and placed them in a BIG 4 cavity muffin tin over some parchment paper..

To the bacon onion cabbage mixture  add your great flavorful beautifully mashed potatoes..(I used 3 )..
Scoop the mixture into the cabbage leaves and bake covered at 350 until  warmed through....you can remove the covering  (foil in my case)  a bit before but not too soon as the blanched cabbage can burn.
I could eat these anytime..
We had them with salmon and asparagus.
It made 4.. so we have 2 leftover..
You don't need St Patricks day to enjoy these:)





Saturday....yesterday..  we Sprang forward..  before Springing forward ..this same Sat..we had temps of 39 F  and sunshine.
A walk in the woods.. hit the spot..

even with a bear in our midst~ a ferocious bear and his 2 bigger brothers..
Rambo:)

and Lucas..who is NEVER cold..and can be in a tshirt..like his dad..in inclement cold weather..

I guess compared to the minuses:)  we live through..the 30's is a heat wave to them:)
The streets are turning puddle-like..the snowbanks slowly diminishing..




                        Small town..we live in..  tucked into the woods..in the middle of the woods..directional arrows..this one to...  Main:)nothing fancy..easy to understand:)
                                                                       I love it to bits...this small town..
                                                                           Et eux..  encore plus.

PS..not sure if the girl with the original idea for the boot/glove planter will see this..I had posted it shortly after I saw it at my friend Nancy's home..her friend had offered it to her..I was charmed and made a few as gifts..
The original artist is so talented at flower arranging:) I saw a few of her arrangements during the yrs our friend Nancy lived across the street:)
Waving hello Janice if you see:)



37 comments:

  1. Monique, thank you. I was looking for a potato/cabbage dish to serve with our St. Patrick's Day slow roasted corned beef And as usual I found the perfect side on La Table De Nana. I shouldn't be surprised. You are my go to any time I am looking for something special.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. De superbes photos, comme toujours et un cupcake parfait ! Il pourrait faire la une d'un livre de cuisine !
    De belles journées enneigées chez vous.
    Bonne semaine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amo el verde tambièn un color de paz y de tranquilidad su cupcake es un lujo ,los niños se ven muy tiernos de osos,abrazos

      Delete
  3. Love green too. I must have some Irish in me somewhere. Named my firstborn Erin, my house is sage green which I have brought inside in the form of furniture. I am in awe of your culinary skills. Professional bakers have nothing on you. Loved your walk with the bears. They grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sage green:)
      Our shutters..our dining room..I love sage green:)
      :)

      Delete
  4. How fun! That boot with the forsythia is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love everything! All of it says spring is coming even if your woods have snow. At least you have your favorite little guys to make it more sunny. Don't you love when we set the clocks ahead? Soon we will be out in the garden too and you and I will have some flowers and green outdoors. Happy St. Patrick's Day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My backyard has 2 ft of snow plus..

      the front yard too..

      The little guys are my rays of sunshine..You are spot on!
      When will you actually be out and about in the garden?

      Delete
  6. I definitely feel spring in the air at your house with the forsythia and St. Patty's Day cupcakes. So glad it was warm enough for a walk in the woods.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chilly today and a dusting tonight! Are you still in Florida?:)
      I would love a beach next March..just a few days..but close to home.. devoid of snow..
      cameras around my neck:)

      Delete
  7. What handsome boys! Enjoyed your touch of green, Monique. You inspire me to pull out a bit of St. Pat something to create a post of my own.
    Enjoy your week ahead……….Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something tells me..that you will ahve no problem pulling out something..

      A tablescape with treasures,a recipe form your chef.. a get together..
      :)
      Or even a ME treasure!

      Delete
  8. Un touche de vert très délicate....et les enfants s'amusent bien ! Magnifiques photos!
    C'est un très joli post!
    Bonne semaine à toi! Cath.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully spring-like! Green is such a vibrant and beautiful color. Lucas is very cute.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Monique, I think there's a bit of the green in all of us! Love your greens and I do so love reading about your mum. I am sure she was a lovely lady. How could she be not, having brought up such a beautiful daughter. I adore the flour arrangement, so pretty, but those pics of your grandbabies, just precious. What nice looking boys they are. So handsome! All in all a wonderful post. No surprise there, they always are. Love the cupcakes too! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there
    I would like to add to the Top Food Blog list in mytaste.com/ . Your blog is quite impressive and it is just too perfect for the top list!! Great recipes!!
    I wonder if you would be interested in adding your blog to the Top List so that our more or less 3 million users, as us, will enjoy your recipes. Many blogs are already member and benefit from their exposure on us. Mytaste is one of the biggest worldwide when it comes to recipe search; it is also a social platform for foodies and blog/sites owners like you.
    To ADD YOUR BLOG or see who join the Top Food Blog list, here’s the link http://www.mytaste.com/top-food-blogs
    Please be kind enough to reply to this message so we should know that you have received it. Thank you for your attention and cooperation. For any questions- info@mytaste.com. We hope to see you there soon!
    Warm Regards

    ReplyDelete
  12. There was something like the flowers in the boot idea on Pinterest last week and I thought it was such a cute idea! Love all your Irish greens...but especially love your clock! You are so talented, Monique. I would give anything for just a touch of artistic talent...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tu as un talent fou pour la photo!! Bon début de semaine Chère amie;)xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, sweet photos, Monique. Thank you for starting my day off in such a nice way. What a wonderful collection of St. Patrick's Day and Springtime photos. Colcannon is one of my favorite dishes that I always serve with corned beef. And sometimes all by itself. You must smile every time you see your grandson in his adorable bear hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do..I did..it was the first time I saw it on him:) He usually had a Minion..or dinosaur etc:)
      Your rolls look fabulous!

      Delete
  15. 50F here today! A great day to have little boys ;). We can actually see bits of lawn where the sun is strongest. No Irish blood but I do love green. I just bought some fresh greenery for some wee pots. I think the Irish are the experts on so many ways to enjoy potatoes. Your colcannon bundles are such a delicious idea. The cupcakes so pretty.

    Oh my, L is getting so big! Love the lion hat and all of those sweet faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not 50 here yt.. 32 but one day I know for sure we will see 50..
      Wait and see how quickly Mack turns 8..in the blink of an eye:)
      You will have so much fun in the garden w/ the boys this summer..
      They love to dig..and find worms.
      Somehow..finding fairies isn't on the agenda:)

      Delete
  16. Monique, you all ready thinking about St. Patricks day, I did not even know what I am going to cook-)) Green is good, we need green here, still have snow everywhere-(( Lovely post!

    Hugs,

    Yelena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow everywhere here:) You have been busy making many other things..all gorgeous!

      Delete
  17. Ooh, the variety of the greens in your crisp photos, from soft & subtle to bright! If I was talented for cooking & baking I would be trying all of your recipes. The boys, just a joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been skethching and painting ..so calming..:)
      Would love to be better...
      Just to pick up a pen.. a paintbrush..and Sketchbook Wander:)

      Delete
  18. All of the green is a feast for the eyes. I hadn't even begun to think about St Patrick's Day yet. This wintry week kept me more in an Ash Wednesday mode. The marshmallow peeps are in the stores, so I know spring can't be far behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must get to our new Target and see if Peeps have finally come to QC:)
      We may be headed for a 1/2 day trip to the US though..so can get some there..
      Malheureusement not The Hamptons:)

      Delete
  19. Oh... how could I forget. The boys, the BEAR..... so darling!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Monique I love greens too so much, look like spring!! and Ilove the boys, arate awesomes
    and love the bear hat , just lovely!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was a fun post! I enjoy colcannon and like the idea of making individual bundles! Great idea.... Your photos are lovely, as always. What photo program do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I try many Kate:-)
    Pic Monkey..may join full membership..Ipiccy..I have very old Photo shops..no longer compatible with our Windows 8 which came with Cyber links photo program..I am going to try and learn it.
    A whole new ball game since XP will no longer be good.
    I love the little bundles..cover to bake though:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a beautiful post...those boys are sooooo delicious. Fabulous ages!
    Your Colcannon bundles look fabulous!
    Bisous xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. ~Nice smile, face and camera...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Monique, just wanted to thank you again. I used your idea and made individual colcannon portions to serve with our St. Patrick's day dinner. Love the presentation.

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tu as une bien jolie famille, Monique. Qu'est-ce qu'ils poussent, ces jeunes gens !

    ReplyDelete